Student Community Group
Student Leadership at UC SSC Lake Ginninderra
The Student Community Group is a place where students are able to achieve positive change within UC SSC Lake Ginninderra and the surrounding community.
We are a supportive, inclusive, judgment-free and multicultural group. We are a voice for students, who support our local community and promote sustainable practices. We want to change and improve this school for the better. We are committed to improving the school's waste program, being involved in numerous charity appeals and participating in leadership roles.
Within the last year we have;
- Engaged with school executive consistently in the decision-making process (such as addressing car park issues and the formal with Year coordinators)
- Promoted sustainability through viewings of the 'War on Waste', Clean Up Australia Day, a recycling survey, waste audit and recycling proposal
- Received ACTSmart School Awards - Sustainable leaders (winner + highly commended), Innovation (highly commended)
- Spoken at whole-school events from assemblies to Open Night
- Organised charity initiatives; including donations for the Share the Dignity Drive, Anglicare Pantry Appeal, Tathra Bushfire Appeal and Lifeline
- Attended events from on leadership and engagement (SheLeads, UNICEF,Advocate.org)
- Created a Monthly Award to acknowledge the success of students
- ANZAC Memorial and Remembrance Day visit
- Facilitated the installation of tampon dispensers
- Year 12 Legacy Project
- Received a High Commendation for the Environment and Sustainability Award (Young Canberra Citizen of the Year awards)
The SCG meets every fortnight on Tuesday in C116.