How can I help?
All students can face problems from time to time related to learning; social relationships; making difficult decisions; or managing emotions such as feeling depressed, anxious, worried, or isolated.
As the School Psychologist I apply my expertise in mental health, learning, and behaviour, to help students and their families understand and resolve both long-term and short-term issues so that they can thrive in school, at home and in life.
What do I do?
- I work with students, parents and their schools to identify and change target behaviours
- I can assist students to improve communication and social skills; promote problem solving, anger management and conflict resolution; reinforce positive coping skills and resilience; and promote positive peer relationships and social problem solving.
- I promote student motivation and engagement
- I assist to individualize instruction and interventions
- I assist in navigating special education processes
- I conduct assessments of students experiencing learning difficulties and/or disabilities.
- I help to plan appropriate Individualized Education Programs for students with disabilities
3. Mental Health and Wellbeing
- I provide direct support for students experiencing mental health and wellbeing difficulties.
- I can help families understand their child's learning and mental health needs
- I can help to connect families with community service providers when necessary
How can I be contacted?
Every public school in Canberra has access to the services of a school psychologist, although some school psychologists serve two or more schools so may not be at a particular school every day. I work at Lake Ginninderra College every weekday. I can be reached by phoning the school directly or via email: email@example.com or 02 6142 0222.